Thursday, August 28, 2008

Finding That Inner Confidence

I don't know where to start, this may be a long one. I shall stat from the beginning I guess :-)

As I have been progressing through my studies I have been focused on obtaining Cert III & IV in order to start work as a PT in a gym, well that still is a focus and part of the plan. But I found another avenue that I really want to go into and it didn't even occur to me until I progressed through my studies to "Specialty Training for Older Adults and Children".

I started thinking more so about the older adults and so I started to look deeply into it to find that over 200,000 Australian's suffer from Dementia and this number is set to double in 20 years.
So I then take my research even further and have the urge to learn more about the disease as possible which I have been doing and I have found that I am so drawn to learning even more. Now my focus has also turned to the carers. These carers are locked in there homes caring for there loved ones who are slowly deteriorating and do not like to be left with anyone else. These carers have no outlet, they feel so alone. They have no time to take care of themselves as they are constantly caring for someone else. They become unhappy with how they look and then struggle to find any motivation to go out at all. It's very sad.

So with extensive search on the web I decided to go one step further and make some calls etc. Long story short I managed to get myself to sit in on a dementia class which is put together by the government for carers of dementia. This was the most incredible day and I am so thankful for being allowed to attend. It went for 5 hours but only felt like it went for an hour, I didn't want it to end.
I meet 15 carers that day, I heard there stories, I saw them cry, I fought back my own tears, these were real people talking about real situations that they were living.
The training class was to teach the carers about the disease and how it effects the brain and behavior's of there loved one's. To understand more about what the sufferer is going through and feeling and how they can make it easier on them. But it also focused on what they need to do for themselves, they need time out in order to not become overwhelmed with pressure and stress of caring for their loved ones 24/7. These people are truly incredible.
After the class the speaker told me I mended in really well with the carers.

I have been offered an opportunity to be a speaker next year when they hold another carers class. I wasn't expecting this, hoping for it but not expecting it, and now I find half of me saying "but your biggest fear is public speaking and you are not confident enough", and the other half says "you can't let this opportunity slip through your fingers, you know how you can help and you can do this"!

I feel as though I got my foot well and truly through the door and there are so many avenues I would like to take in relation to this. It's the tip of the ice burg and I will share it with you as it gets closer to it as I was advised not to say anything yet, but it's all very promising and will be very rewarding in so many ways.

To tell you the truth I still can't believe this path has opened up to me, and how fast it is all happening it's blown me away. You just never know what's ahead of you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

go for gold-jewelxxx

Anonymous said...

There aren't words to describe what it's like to be a full time carer. 24 hours in a day just isn't enough to do the things we want to do for ourselves when somebody elses needs come first. That's why I won't be able to compete whilst caring for Mum.

Lia xxx

Splice said...

I completely understand what you are going through honey after spending time with the carer's yesterday, it was an eye opener. And I did think of you when I was there.
Hugs.

Anonymous said...

It's a choice that I made so I try not to complain about it. xxx

Dianna Broeren said...

What a wonderful opportunity for you Deb. I look forward to hearing about the doors that open and flourishing future that comes for you through this.

Tackle that fear of public speaking head on and you will grow an enormous amount from it!

Here is a great quote that seems appropriate for you.......
"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them".

All The Best
Di

Splice said...

Di, thank you so much for you kind words and encouragement, I really appreciate it.
Deb xox

Combat Girl said...

Hi Deb,

It sounds like you are doing something which is really exciting you and giving you something that you obviously need. I think its wonderful.

My grandma has dementia and unfortunately we haven't seen her as she is overseas. When my mum calls her own mother, it is so hard because my grandma does not even remember her own daughter. My mum gets off the phone shattered and in tears.

I hope (as I am sure) you will make a difference to at least one person. Proud of you and fully support your endeavours.

CG
xx